Monday, September 27, 2010

15th Annual Java Jive

One of the charitable causes we contribute to is the Dane County Rape Crisis Center. Every year they host a coffee tasting event called Java Jive. This year was the 15th event. It is held at the Brinks Lounge in Madison, a very nice looking bar that I hope to visit some day. The event is highlighted by a silent auction and wonderful brunch. But, the highlight is the coffee tasting. This year's event featured coffees from: Ancora Coffee Roasters, Cargo/Ground Zero Coffee, Indie House, JavaCat, Johnson Brothers Coffee Roasters, Macha Teahouse, Michelangelo's, and Washington Hotel Coffee Room.

We had our 3 year old daughter with us, so sampling opportunities were limited. I started off with the Atomic Brew from Cargo/Ground Zero Coffee. Where to begin, as this is my most favorite coffee. First of all, it has a higher caffeine content than a regular cup of coffee. Second, it has the lighter finish and subtle acidity that I adore in a wonderful cup of coffee. Quite simply, this is the best and I need to start making the 20 minute drive more frequently to load up on this. Bean Rating: 5 beans out of 5!!!

My next cup was the House Blend from Java Cat. After the Atomic Brew, this was a huge letdown. It was relatively smooth, but had an earthy taste (i.e. like dirt or a barn floor). Thankfully, I only had a half cup to finish. Very disappointing. Bean Rating: 1 bean out of 5.

Smartly, I went back to the Atomic Brew for my last cup for the road.

All monies raised this day went to the Center. They do noble work.

No comments:

Post a Comment